Three groups come together to open beautiful trail in Vista!
On Monday, May 15th, Lewisboro Land Trust put two of their programs together with a very successful result.
The land trust’s Access Nature program, which reaches out to underserved populations and connects them to nature, joined forces with the John Jay High School Senior Intern program. Seven members, staff and clients, of Community Based Services, a local organization that provides day programs for intellectually-challenged adults worked at St Paul’s Church in Vista to clear the trail that had become neglected and unusable. Three of the John Jay High School Senior Interns (Mark Laubscher, Jess Moss, and Chris Bell) worked side-by-side with them, and by the end of the day, the trail was open for business. And the group hopes everyone will come take a look…and a stroll…through this beautiful, quiet woodland. Please be sure to notice the history signage which details the origins of the parcel: John Lewis, for whom Lewisboro is named, deeded the farmhouse in which he was born and the 48 surrounding acres to the parish in 1870 with the condition that they build a chapel there. Though it took nearly thirty years to accumulate the funds, by 1900 St. Paul’s Chapel was completed. Woodland trails wind through the 32 acres behind it, where sheltered grotto’s dedicated to the Blessed Mother and St. Francis provide havens for quiet contemplation.
The trail is behind the church; the trail head is to the left of the church. Parking is on the right. The church is located at 313 Smith Ridge Road (Route 123), South Salem. Its at the intersection of Route 123 and Elmwood Road. – Bobbe Stultz 2017.