Celebrating 40 Years, CBS Relaunches Cultivating Dreams Farm with New Recreational and Educational Spaces
Celebrating its 40th anniversary, Community Based Services (CBS) is relaunching Cultivating Dreams Farm and showcasing new recreational and educational spaces during “A Day on the Farm” event. The relaunch celebration, “A Day on the Farm,” will be held at Cultivating Dreams Farm, 18 Meadow Road, in Hopewell Junction, NY, on Thursday, August 26, 2021, from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. (Rain date will be August 27.) Families who are looking for services for disabled loved ones, professionals in the education and disability services field, or those curious about the Farm are encouraged to attend the event and explore the programs in action within the new spaces.
Register for “A Day on the Farm” Relaunch of Cultivating Dreams Farm
Register for this free, family-friendly event here.
Cultivating Dreams Provides Farm-to-Table Experience
Cultivating Dreams provides a holistic farm-to-table learning experience for people with autism and developmental disabilities, emphasizing a strong connection to the environment through agricultural work, as well as the joy of preparing nutritious meals using the harvest. There is a need for opportunities for people with disabilities, who often thrive in a natural and serene setting, for vocational and life skills development as well as athletic and community activities. With the help of a grant and fundraising, CBS has constructed new safe and accessible outdoor spaces to enhance its ability to provide solutions to these needs and to serve more people from the community and school districts.
Our goal is to serve more people. We want to provide a sensory experience for people of all abilities, and open doors for people to enjoy and recreate in the peacefulness of the Farm.
– Chief Executive Officer Vicki Sylvester.
Commemorate the 40th Anniversary with Family Activities
The event will kick off with a tree planting to commemorate the 40th anniversary and the founder of CBS, Kevin McCarthy. In addition, the following family-friendly activities are planned:
- Enjoy a bouncy house, face painting, sensory table, and seed planting.
- Be entertained by demonstrations from BluePath Service Dogs, and music provided by guitarist Brian Dallas Fields, his dog Buck, and his therapy animals.
- Explore our greenhouse via a wheelchair accessible entrance, made from locust wood cut from the property, to enjoy plants grown by individuals in our agricultural program.
- Visit a second greenhouse, built to expand horticultural programs.
- Play a friendly game of basketball or bocce ball on newly constructed courts.
- Discover the renovated barn, a multipurpose space for arts and crafts such as candle making and autumn pumpkin carving.
- Amble along Overlook Path, taking in the beauty of the property and enjoying the scent of an herb garden.
I cannot think of a better way to celebrate CBS’ 40th anniversary than to spend a day with the people that we support at our Cultivating Dreams Farm. Cultivating Dreams allows people of all abilities to experience seed to harvest and beyond. Come join us as we showcase the most recent developments at our beautiful farm.
– Director of Day Programs Betty Rivadeneira.
About Cultivating Dreams Farm
Located in the heart of Dutchess County, Cultivating Dreams Farm provides a holistic farm-to-table experience emphasizing pre-vocational agricultural and life skills, while fostering community inclusion. In addition to activities on our recreational farm, our participants are empowered in their volunteer work with Dutchess Outreach, Meals on Wheels, the Food Bank of the Hudson Valley, as well as local senior centers and churches.